Senior Software Engineer (Scala)
We are looking for someone who likes to work in small, informal teams that work together in a conversational software development workflow. The teams have their own organically evolved organization focusing on end results, while making each other better developers.
You are a highly effective developer comfortable with Scala (or in a position to adopt it quickly) that can solve difficult problems and teach (as well as learn from) other developers by example and collaboration.
This role will be working on a new rapid-growth business developed last year - NordstromRack.com - by a highly independent unit of Nordstrom, based in Los Angeles. The candidate will contribute in the direction and progress of larger-scale Nordstrom search technology with minimal overhead. You will also have the freedom to have a meaningful voice in all aspects of our team’s software development. At HauteLook, we reward individual initiative and vision. While working on the new Search & Personalization team, you will focus on developing services as needed to support its efforts
- Write, build and develop services using primarily Scala and other JVM-based technologies where appropriate
- Develop search and personalization web products and services with Solr and possibly Elastic Search
- Partner with the Mobile Dev Team to trial and quickly iterate new functionality (our mobile development team is a quick and agile unit that delivers features and fixes fast, while shipping excellent code without adherence to ceremony or dogmatic process.)
- Work with decorated and forward-thinking collaborators to build amazing products
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science
- Advanced experience in software development using Scala or another functional language such as Clojure, and can quickly learn Scala
- Experience with Solr/SolrCloud/ElasticSearch is a big plus
- Good judgment that results in on time feature delivery while ensuring a maintainable codebase
- Willingness to demonstrate leadership in design & architectural discussions
- Ability to provide value to the company’s larger mission in the form of tangible results while continuing to learn and raise their own ceiling
- Excellent communication skills that directly addresses any concerns or feedback, one who agrees that continual conversation minimizes friction and maximizes benefit for all
- Demonstrated track record in building and releasing core business applications and the ability to learn from failures along the way